photo m

Thursday 3 November 2011

Do good things come in little dotty packages!?

When I heard about GlossyBox I thought it was quite possibly the greatest invention ever to grace the world of beauty and wondered why no one had thought of it sooner. I wanted to smooch those clever people at Glossy HQ. For £10 a month GlossyBox sends you 5 high end products for you to test and review in the comfort of your own living room, perfect for people who want to find their next beauty secret. I excitedly subscribed on their pretty website and sat back to wait for my box of goodies.

Then while I was at work on a cold, rainy Tuesday afternoon I got an excited text from my housemate telling me to hurry home and watsaping me a teasing photo of the box sitting on my kitchen table!


I was like a child about to meet Santa for the first time. We sat crowded around this little box and hurriedly opened it. Inside was the most beautifully wrapped box I have ever seen. The people at GlossyBox must be pros at Christmas wrapping and I am sure they are employed by Santa’s elves.


After opening it and digging thought the tissue paper I felt a slight wave of disappointment.



So why the disappointment?

Smudge Stick Waterproof Eye Liner-MorayWell, for a start there was only the one make up product, the Stila Smudge Stick Waterproof Eye Liner in Moray. I do sing high praises for this little beauty though. It was a nice colour and it went on really easily. The only down side was that although it is waterproof it had left a brown smudge ring under my eyes by the end of the day. In saying that though it is a brilliant product, I LOVE it and I would highly recommend it to all you beauties (£13.00, Harvey Nichols).



Sex Kitten
Next I tried out the Leighton Denny Expert Nails in Sex Kitten. It was a nice full size product but in a colour I wouldn't normally wear. Non the less I wouldn't be a good lab rat if I didn't try it. I would recommend applying a clear base coat so that the colour doesn’t stain your nails. The poor circulation look isn’t in at the moment. The varnish was easy to apply but needed more than the recommended 2 coats and I found it chipped pretty quickly. I think adding a top coat next time would keep it chip free. The colour has really grown on me though and now I have painted myfingers and toes :D (£11.00, John Lewis).


Fracas, Visa and Calypso de Robert Piguet

Next, the Robert Piguet fragrance testers. There isn’t a whole lot I can say about these. Firstly, I am not a fan of marketing fragrance in this way. Mainly because most people like different fragrances and I prefer to use one I know I like. So what can I say about them….they smell like the sort of fragrance your’e nan may buy you for christmas because she liked it. Im sure some people will love these smells but just not for me. (£65, Harrods).



Lastly, there were the Dermalogica products and the "free” pouch, which basically took over the box. I have heard great things about this brand so I thought I should give them a test. First I tried the Age Smart-MultiVitamin Thermafoliant when I had washed it off my face did feel cleaner and tighter and I went to bed a quite happy. The next day I was pretty shocked to see that I had the worst case of spots and pimples I have had since I was into the Spice Girls. I have quite oily skin so it is possible that this product caused a slight reaction. I didn’t try the other Power Recovery Masque because of this. Perhaps it would be good for dryer skin types. This is nothing against this brand as I have tried their range for oily skin and thought it was brilliant. I do think that the Renewal Lip Complex and the small bag were a waste of space because no one uses the bags and I have about a million stuffed in a box. (£40.50, £33.50, £22.50, www.dermalogica.com).

Dermalogica AGE Smart – MultiVitamin ThermafoliantDermalogica AGE Smart – MultiVitamin Power Recovery MasqueDermalogica AGE Smart – Renewal Lip ComplexAll in all I was a little let down by my first Glossy Box even though it is a little bit sexy, but just because you have a bad first date doesn't mean you should give up on them. I will keep you posted. For now,Pixie out xoxo

 photo homeeee_zps214aed0e.jpg

0 comments:

Post a Comment